Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) and Provider Performed Microscopy (PPM) Procedures: An Introduction.
The goal of this eLearning course is to prepare physicians, midlevel providers, dentists, and others to meet requirements for PPM procedures under a CLIA certificate.
This basic-level eLearning course provides information on selected topics, including: background of PPM procedures, overview of criteria, examinations, and regulations, how to apply for a CLIA Certificate for PPM Procedures, requirements for PPM personnel, and additional CLIA requirements and quality practices.
This course is intended for physicians, midlevel practitioners including nurse midwives, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants, dentists, laboratory directors, and other laboratory professionals who:
- Perform PPM procedures
- Have a general knowledge of CLIA
- Have experience performing microscopic procedures
Course content is closed captioned, where applicable, and optimized for a screen reader.
At the end of this course, learners should be able to:
- Describe the microscopic examinations a laboratory or testing site can perform under a CLIA Certificate for PPM procedures
- Describe the personnel requirements for performing PPM procedures
- Recognize your role, responsibilities, and scope of practice as a team member performing PPM procedures
- Identify components of quality practices for PPM procedures
Continuing Education (CE)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Laboratory Systems is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® Program. This course is approved for 1.0 contact hour of P.A.C.E.® credit. P.A.C.E.® number: 288-016-23.